Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cowboy Pintos (Crockpot Style)

I fix beans at least once a week.  According to my husband he can eat the whole pot....funny that I always wind up throwing some out at the end of the week... Anyway, I have a Marlboro Cookbook with lots of western style meals and this one for pinto beans looked really good... so I adapted it for the crockpot.


1 lb package pinto beans, picked thru for stones
8 cups water
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons bacon grease
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 small piece of fat meat
1/8 teaspoon cumin
salt
pepper


Place sorted beans and water in crockpot.  In a small pan, saute onion in bacon grease till tender.  Pour into the crockpot.  Add jalapeno, fat meat.  Season with cumin, salt and pepper.  Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.

No comments: