Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Meatballs

I must admit, I admire people who take their blogs seriously and post something everyday. I wish I had that in me... but it seems I have commitment issues. Did I just say that.... that sounds more like something Billy Head should say. I won't go there today....instead I'll stick to the subject at hand...MEATBALLS and a new recipe. I can't remember the last time I made or ate meatballs. In fact, I don't recall ever making meatballs so I guess that's why I'm excited to post this recipe.

A co-worker loaned me a cookbook a few weeks back and this is one that jumped out at me.

Oven Porcupines

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked regular rice
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup A-1 steak sauce
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix meat, rice and water, A-1 sauce, onion, salts, garlic powder and pepper. Shape mixture by rounded tablespoons into balls. Place meatballs in an ungreased baking dish 8x8x2 inches. Stir together remaining ingredients, pour over meatballs. Cover with foil, bake 45 minutes. Uncover, bake 15 minutes longer.

You could also add some grated cheddar cheese to the meat mixture if you wish. These are good served with mashed potatoes.

P.S. Billy Head declared this a keeper.

No comments: