Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ropa Veija

Saturday tends to be a busy day around our house. The grandkids and my parents usually come visit. Dinner is often times not thought about till late in the day when I'm tired but NOT last weekend. I was on top of things. I managed to fix Chicken Tettrazini for lunch for the masses at my house and I also filled the crockpot with some dinner fix'ns for Billy Head and I. Of course when I said it was a new recipe, Billy Head automatically turned up his nose. SNOB! But to his antics.... I say HA! It turned out to be really good. Give it a try.

Ropa Veija
  • 3 pounds chuck roast- ( I used a package of stew meat)
  • 1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped (red or yellow onion)
  • 1 cup chopped celery (or more)
  • 2 medium green peppers, chopped
  • 2 medium red peppers, chopped ( I didn't have any of these so I didn't put them in)
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms (this was my addition, recipe didn't call for it.)
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes (15 oz)
  • 1 small can tomato paste (6 oz)
  • 2 bay leaves ( I only used 1)
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder ( I only used 1 Tbsp)
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 3 boullion cubes ( I only used 1)
  • salt and pepper

Preparation:

1) Salt and pepper the meat, and brown it (** I skipped this step)

2) Layer onion and celery on bottom of crock pot (slow cooker).

3) Put meat on top.

4) Drain the tomatoes and save juice. Layer tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms over the meat, along with the bay leaves.

5) Mix the rest of the ingredients together (including the reserved tomato liquid) and pour over the rest of the food. ( ** I thought the the mixture looked rather thick so I added about 1/2 cup water. )

Cook 2 to 3 hours on high, or 5 to 7 hours on low.

I served it over penne pasta or it would be good over rice or shred the meat and fill a tortilla with the mixture.

No comments: