Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Move over Rachel Ray

Last night when I got home from work and took on that nightly question of what's for dinner, I opened the fridge to find smoked sausage calling my name. Now please understand this is NOT my meat of choice and I only buy it to satisfy Billy Head's craving for meat. Okay, now what? What to do with smoked sausage. And grilling was out of the question since it was cold out and I didn't feel like braving the elements. This is where the "Move over Rachel Ray" part comes in.... I grabbed that hunk of sausage, some potatoes, onions and whatever else jumped out at me and I began... my own RECIPE. Yeah, I don't have many original recipes in my arsenal but I guess you have to start somewhere, right?

1 package smoked sausage, cut into bite size pieces
2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 package grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash or grill seasoning
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sausage and veggies into a baking dish. Sprinkle with seasonings. Drizzle with olive oil (enough to coat veggies). Cook at 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add a splash of Balsamic vinegar and return to oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.

I wound up broiling the dish for a few minutes to get the sausage crispy. Billy Head likes his meat crispy or sometimes burnt. No problem for me. I like to burn things. He commented that this was very good. Next time I may add some cabbage wedges to the mix.

No comments: