Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Stew Season

The best part of our little hometown is the Brunswick Stew sold at the annual RailRoad Festival. Every year my sister and I make a hurried trip downtown to the vendors selling the "Golden" stuff. We usually wind up buying at least 4 to 5 quarts. After hearing my little grandson ask... "what's in this stuff that makes it so yummy, I knew I had to learn how to make it.

So here we go.... Yummy style Brunswick Stew

Place a small pork roast in the crockpot. Cover with water, add a small sliced onion and about 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce. Cook on high for about 4 hours. Remove meat and shred.

Boil a whole chicken till tender. Add enough water to cover it. Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Leave water in pan. (You may need to add a little more if it evaporates while cooking). Add 1 chopped onion, 3 medium potatoes, diced, and 1/4 cup diced celery. Cook till veggies are tender. Add 1 bag of frozen white corn (I used Private Selection brand from Kroger), 1 cup baby lima beans. Cook for about 10 to 15 min. Add the shredded chicken and pork and two cans diced tomatoes.

Recipe called for a whole bottle of ketchup but I only added about 1/2 cup. I added tomato juice. I just kept adding it and letting it cook down till it got the consistency I wanted. I also added about 4 to 5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, about 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, 2 to 3 drops Liquid Smoke. I also added a pinch of sugar, some salt, pepper, Texas Pete and cayenne pepper to taste. That's about it. You really just have to play around with the spices and tomato juice to get it the way you like it. But according to my daughter and her kids.... It was YUMMY!

No comments: