Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sweets for my "Sweetie"


I have no excuse why I haven't posted anything lately. I blame it on pure laziness and maybe a little blame goes to Facebook. My new addiction. It's the best thing since homemade soap. I am amazed that there are only 10 or 11 people from my graduating class listed. C'mon people, get with it! You don't know what you are missing. It's so fun finding out what people have been up to for the past 28 years. Especially if they are like me and stay clear of class reunions. Now, back to my blog, my poor neglected blog.

Billy Head is the type of eater that can eat a full course meal and as he settles in for the night in front of the T.V asks "What do we have sweet?". Well, I try, really I do, when I grocery shop to find something sweet for him. But none of that pre-packaged stuff looks good to me at the store. So I asked him, "what do you eat from the store that is sweet?" His reply, "Mike and Ikes, Hot Tamales, and Almond Joys" Okay, say it with me..... YUCK!

I have decided to cater to my little "Love Muffin" and bake him some real sweets this weekend. On my agenda are the following:

German Chocolate Upside Down Cake

1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 package German chocolate cake mix
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 lb. box confectioners’ sugar

Grease and flour a 9x13x2” baking pan. Put coconut and pecans in the bottom of the pan. Prepare cake mix according to directions on box. Pour over nuts and coconut. Combine cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar; drop by spoonfuls on top of cake. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.


And if he's nice to me, I may make some Lemon Bars- Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.

The Best Lemon Bars

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 lemons, juiced (or about 6 tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.

Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.

For a festive tray, make another pan using limes instead of lemons and adding a drop of green food coloring to give a very pale green. After both pans have cooled, cut into uniform 2 inch squares and arrange in a check board fashion.

No comments: