Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sausage and Bean Soup

I have prayed all winter for a big snow storm and my prayer was answered on Sunday. Our little city was long overdue a big snow as we had been without the white stuff for years and years. I guess it goes without saying, I LOVE SNOW. And I love it best when it means I get to stay home from work. That's exactly what happened on Monday morning. I got up at my usual 5:30 a.m. to check the news and by golly what did I see..... Lynchburg Sheltered Industries- CLOSED. YIPPEE!!!! I know, I sound like a kid waiting to see if school is closed. Some of us never grow up completely.


So what do people do on a snow day? I'm sure most played in the snow but it was way too cold for that and freezing my buttocks off wasn't what I wanted to do with my day. In my opinion snow is best observed from the inside where it is warm and toasty. See, this picture was taken from my front door. Isn't it lovely?





And I guess some people clean off cars and shovel the walks but not me. That is Billy Head's department. We made a pact when we first starting dating that he would take care of anything outside and maintain the vehicles and my duties were limited to inside chores. Don't let on, but I got the better end of the deal. I get to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I'm not much on fighting the elements. DON'T look too closely at this picture, or you will see my neighbor out shoveling snow. She puts me to shame and gives my inside chore pact a bad rep. Note to self: I need to have a talk with her.

So while Billy Head was out shoveling the sidewalk and dusting off my vehicle ( which as you can see was in desperate need- the sidewalk is buried between the two shrubs)

I was inside thinking of things to do. I came up with a project for Billy Head--Installing our new ceiling fan. Since he was stuck indoors with me all day and rather than listen to me beg and plead for hours on end. He decided to shut me up and install our new fan. Yeah ME!!!

As a gesture of fairness I fixed him a working man's lunch. I was in the mood to cook and decided to create a new soup recipe. Billy Head enjoyed my little creation so much he said..."write this down so you can remember how you made this" I can't image why he would have said this ;) but anyway here goes:

**Let me add, I had cooked a crockpot full of navy beans on Saturday and had some leftover which was the inspiration for my creation.

Sausage and Bean Soup

1 package smoked sausage, thinly sliced

1 small onion, chopped

2 cans beef broth

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup carrots, sliced

1 can diced tomatoes

1 cup shredded cabbage

1 1/2 cups navy beans (or 1-15 oz can)

In large saucepan, brown smoked sausage in a little olive oil, cook about 8 minutes. Add onion and cook till onion is translucent. Add beef broth, carrots, corn and tomatoes. Cover and simmer about 12-15 minutes. Add cabbage and cook another 10-12 minutes. Add beans and simmer till hot throughout. Season with salt and pepper and a dash of garlic salt. Also if soup is too thick, add a little water to thin.




No comments: