Monday, November 3, 2008

Swiss Potato Torte

I decided to look in my cookbook collection for some new recipes and I pulled out a book called Award Winning Recipes by the Editors of Favorite Recipes and Irena Chalmers. Sounds good to me, award winning means somebody else has tasted and tested these recipes so they must be good. RIGHT?

This one caught my eye since it mentioned Swiss cheese, my all time favorite food. I'm going to try these very soon and if they are as good as the picture makes them look, they may find their way to my Thanksgiving table.

3 Tablespoons butter, softened
6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups ( 8 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream, warmed
Chopped parsley and paprika, for garnish

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Generously grease a 2 quart ovenproof bowl with the butter. Alternately layer the potatoes, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper and Swiss Cheese in the prepared dish. Bake, tightly covered for 1 1/4 hours or until the potatoes are tender. Let stand for 1o minutes. Then invert onto a serving platter. Drizzle the warm cream over the top and garnish with parsley and paprika.

No comments: