Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween- A Parent's View

I can remember as a child hearing my mother say she hated Halloween. I just could not understand why she felt that way. I mean costumes, candy, kids, pumpkins, ringing doorbells, What's not to like? Not like Halloween, that's just wrong Mom.


Twenty years, two kids, and four grandkids later, I think my Halloween hating mother may know a thing or two about holidays. What's not to like.... okay here goes the list as I remember it as a parent:


1. Rushing home to get dinner fixed before the trick or treaters start.

2. The ringing of the doorbell and the kids arguing over who passes out the candy.

3. Worrying about costumes and then there was the crying and pouting over costumes.

4. Walking around the neighborhood in the cold.

5. Trying to get homework done during this chaos.

6. Trying to limit the amount of candy consumed.

7. Refereeing fights over candy.

8. Trying to enforce bedtime to kids on a sugar high.


Yeah, I think Mom knew what she was talking 'bout. So kids enjoy your Halloween and parents.... Take a deep breath, relax and help yourself to those leftover candy treats. Chocolate makes all things better. And if you're still having a hard time liking Halloween just wait till you're a grandparent. Halloween regains it's likeability. See...


This is what showed up at my house Friday night.


A witch ...









A Reaper named Grim...







And a furry little bat









(An unhappy little bat at that)



And my stressed out daughter.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hunter looks really scary. and Carson as usual looks so cute. love ya mom.