Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Taco Spaghetti

It has been awhile since I've tried any new recipes so I found this one in a Better Homes and Garden Pasta cookbook. I told Billy Head what we were having for dinner last night and his response.... "I'm not eating that crap". As usual I ignored his utterings and fixed my new recipe. He managed to clean his plate not once but twice. Lesson here-NEVER listen to a Billy Head when it comes to trying something new.


Taco Spaghetti

5 ounces dried spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine, broken up
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup water
1/2 of 1 1/4-ounce envelope taco seasoning mix (2 tablespoons)
1 (11-ounce) can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
1 cups sliced ripe olives
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1/2 cup tomato-based salsa
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chili peppers, drained
6 cups shredded lettuce ( I did not add)
1 cup or more slightly broken tortilla chips (I did not add)
1 medium tomato, cut into wedges ( I did not add)
Sour cream for accompaniment (optional) (I did not add)

Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
In a 12-inch skillet cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain fat. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in cooked pasta, corn, olives, half of the shredded cheese, the salsa and chili peppers.
Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2-quart round casserole dish. Cover and bake in a 350*F (175*C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Serve topped with lettuce, tortilla chips and tomato wedges. If desired, top with a dollop of sour cream.

No comments: