Monday, October 27, 2008

Home Alone

This past weekend Billy Head and members of his mission group attended a silent retreat in Germantown, Maryland. Yes, you heard me right. Silent and Billy Head in the same sentence. Can you imagine that? Seems a bit far fetched to me but he assures me that there is no talking from dinner time Friday night until the retreat ends on Sunday afternoon.

This is the third retreat he has attended since I've known him and each time he comes back saying it was a "powerful" experience. I'm glad he is able to take time away from the hussle and bussle of everyday life and be quiet and focused. I can tell it does wonders for him.

The only bad part of the retreat, I 'm HOME ALONE. I guess you can call me a scaredy cat. I'm okay up until about 11:30 pm and then I get antsy which makes for a long night. My trusty guard dog doesn't exactly leave me feeling confident in his attack abilities. He's only 12 lbs and his bark is surely worse than any bite he could render. And he misses Billy Head when he goes away. He keeps waiting for him to come home and barks all during the night at every noise he hears. This doesn't exactly help me relax hearing him bark knowing he hears something. I hate to see my electric bill this month, I kept every light in the house on all night. Good thing Billy Head was only gone two night otherwise I would need to get a second job to pay for electricity. What do women do who live alone or have husband's who travel a lot? I guess I'd get used to it after awhile but I sure sleep better when Billy Head is home. I used to stay by myself before Billy Head moved in and I wasn't this bad. Yes, I did sleep on the couch every night but at least I did sleep. I think I've become a "wuss" in my old age. No comment please.

If it wasn't for the night time "shaking in my boots" part, the weekend was very relaxing for me too. I didn't know how much I needed some down time until it was sprung upon me. I spent the whole day Saturday trampsing around town looking for the grandkids some winter clothes. I didn't have to look at the clock and rush because somebody was waiting on dinner or needed me to do something. Boy was that nice. Sunday was spent battling a menacing cold but I was still able to go to the grocery store and clean house and do some cooking. I made stir-fry, cheese straws and a pot of navys beans and mac and cheese. Not exactly your typical meal but I was trying to make some things to have to eat on during the week. And pay day isn't till Thursday so my grocery supply is very limited.

I'm glad to report that no boogie men got me and I'm safe and secure until the next time Billy Head decides to desert me.

Happy Monday.

No comments: