Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A very small piece of history


This is my great-grandfather, Antonio Torricelli. And we know very little about him. My cousin and I have spent numerous hours searching the web hoping to stumble across something that will give us more information. I think we know he did come to the US sometime between 1904 and 1913. There are records for 3 Antonio Torricelli's arriving in the US on the Ellis Island website. My cousin also was able to locate a social security number for one Antonio Torricelli which was obtained in New Jersey and has a recorded date of death as December 1978.

My grandmother had very little information to give us about him. She said he came to the US from Italy and she was named after his sister, Nettie Alice, who died at a young age. He met her mother when he was working on the railroad in Appomattox. They married and had her. He then left, reason is not real clear, but I think he tried to get my great-grandmother to go with him and she refused. She didn't want to leave her family in Appomattox. That is all the information we have to go on. My cousin said she thinks he was in WWI and returned from the war and possibly settled in the PA area.

I would so love to find out more about him and his family. Especially if he remarried and had more children and about his family back in Italy. My grandmother had this picture of him and I hate to think that is all she ever had of him. She was raised by her step-father. What a shame and what a piece of history we'd love to discover.

No comments: