Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A favorite question around our house, is "Where's the beef?" I definitely found myself a meat and potatoes kinda guy. He would eat meat for dessert if I could afford it. I don't exactly know how a vegetarian cookbook made its way in my collection but it did and as I browsed it pages I stumbled across this recipe. This is a really good twist on plain potato soup and Billy Head will eat it too. As long as there is beef for dessert.



Potato, Cheese and Green Chili Soup

4-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups water or chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup corn
1 small can diced green chilies
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper
8 oz. Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Cook potatoes in water or chicken broth until tender. In small pan, sauté onion, green pepper & garlic in oil. Add to potatoes. Stir in tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, oregano and salt & pepper. Simmer 20 minutes. Add cheese a little at a time and stir to blend. Great served with garlic toast.

No comments: