Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bait and Switch

I remember the first night I cooked dinner for Billy Head. I had gotten up early and pulled out the dusty but trusty crockpot. After much stressing I decided to fix a pork roast. I wasn't sure what type of food he liked but my pork dinner would please just about any Billy that came along. I threw in all the ingredients for my crockpot pork roast and headed off to work.

Dinner time came and we were eating and making googly eyes at each other (sort of) and the subject of food came up. Then these words which I remember so vividly came out of his mouth... " Oh yeah, I'll eat anything but eggplant". "Really?" I asked with a sigh of relief. What had I been so worried about, this man would eat anything I would ever fix because eggplant is not in my vocabulary. Also from his mouth came " we make a good team, you cook and I will clean up" OMG I've found my soul mate. He would eat practically anything and clean to boot. I was in relationship bliss.

Temporarily that is.

When the next meal together came about, I did my part and cooked yet another man pleaser meal. We dined and as we finished I noticed he quietly retreated to the living room. Hmmm what's this....I figure he's just tired and forgot about those promises he made a few nights earlier. He would certainly remember as he hears me rattling dishes clearing the table. I was hoping to jolt his memory by intentionally clanging a few pots here and there. Nope, nada, nothing. No type of dish clanging was hitting home with him.

You know what they say, if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

Many meals go by and suddenly out of the blue I hear the words " I don't like that." "WHAT????" I say startled. How dare he utter such. But you said "I'll eat anything but eggplant" and I based our entire relationship on those words. I wasn't ready for this. A true case of Bait and Switch. I had been HAD! And another thing...What happened to Me Cook, You Clean? C'mon mister, what you got to say now?

Today Billy Heads list of dislikes has grown to include my meatloaf, any type of gravy, my stuffed chicken shells, grilled ham sandwiches, barbecue chicken (or anything barbecued for that matter), peaches, and many times my spaghetti. However, I have learned a trick or two of my own over the years. One of which- make spaghetti night a regular. Most men will only tolerate it every once and a while and if they want something besides spaghetti, well then I guess it means dinner out. Not to shabby if I say so myself. Right girls?

No comments: