Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Our family's spaghetti sauce recipe

This is the way we were taught to make spaghetti thru the ages. This is the way my grandma used to make it, and then my mom and now me and my children too. The only problem, it is one of those recipes handed down from my mom with no amounts so I guessed at the amounts here. The longer it simmers, the better it is.


1 lb. hamburger
1/4 to 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1/4 cup water ( or a little more if needed)
Spices: Garlic salt or powder, onion salt, chili powder, red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, and oregano.


Saute onions and green peppers in a small amount of oil until slightly tender. Add hamburger. Once hamburger is browned, drain off grease. Add tomato products and 1/4 cup of water. Add spices to taste. Simmer 30 minutes or so.

No comments: