Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Valerie’s Chicken Chili Pasta

Okay I'm feeling really bad about not crediting my sister for her knack of finding good recipes. So today I will spend some time being a good sister and post some of her awesome recipes. She is a fantastic cook and always shares her recipes with me. I have no idea where she got this one but she did good. There is a funny story attached to this recipe that I must share. Sorry Mom. My mom loves this stuff but she hates to cook so when my sister makes it mom is in heaven. Now for the funny part. You know sometimes you forget something is in your fridge and it gets pushed towards the back. C'mon, I know you've done it too. And the stuff stays in there for a couple weeks growing all kinds of hairy little creatures. Well, my sister had made this pasta and the leftovers had been sitting in her fridge for about 2 weeks. My mom came to visit her and decided to raid her fridge while my sister was out. Guess what she ate! Deserves her right for eating without asking.

This is a delicious chili and pasta recipe- just don't wait two weeks to eat it.



Valerie’s Chicken Chili Pasta

2 to 4 chicken breasts
1 medium red bell pepper
6 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies or jalapenos (drained)
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (14 oz.) can navy beans (drained)
8 oz. bow tie pasta
olive oil
1 tsp. chili powder

Boil chicken breasts until cooked, then shred. Cook and drain pasta. While chicken is boiling, broil whole red pepper in oven until black (turn as needed). Put red pepper into paper bag to cool. (This helps to remove the skin). Remove the outer skin and dice red pepper, onion and garlic. Sauté in olive oil until onion is just translucent. Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, chilies or jalapenos, chili powder. Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Stir in navy beans and pasta. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with garlic bread or toast.

No comments: