Monday, September 22, 2008

Brunswick Stew

Welcome Fall! My favorite time of year. In celebration of its arrival I decided to make Brunswick Stew. Billy Head was impressed and said it was the best soup I've ever made. Wow. I did good!

chicken- (recipe called for a stewing hen, but I used a package of breast tenders)
1/4 lb. fatback (recipe said to snip it at 1/2 intervals around edges but I didn't)
3 medium onions, chopped (I only used 2)
2 quarts water
3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (28 oz ) whole tomatoes, chopped (recipe said to drain them but I didn't)
1 package frozen lima beans
1 (17 oz) can corn ( recipe called for cream-corn but I don't like creamed-corn)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
salt
pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done (about 45 min to 1 hour). Remove chicken and chop meat.
Add meat back to pot, along with potatoes, lima beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until thickened. Remove fatback before serving.


As you can see I changed the recipe a little to suit me. Recipe also called for an additional 16 oz can tomatoes and a small can corn but I didn't add that either.

No comments: