Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Zuppa Toscana (like Olive Garden's)

Billy Head really means it when he says the honeymoon is over and that means no more date nights. I had to find a recipe for zuppa toscana in order to cope with no more Olive Garden. Must be the Italian blood in me. I found this one at http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/. This soup is almost as good as OG in my opinion. Billy Head thinks mine is better. Hmmmm I think I just figured out why he doesn't take me to Olive Garden any more.


1 lb. spicy Italian sausage, crumbled
1/2 lb. smoked bacon, chopped
1 qt. water
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 lg. russet potatoes, cubed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cups chopped kale or swiss chard
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper- to taste

In a skillet over medium high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
In a skillet over medium high heat, brown bacon, drain, set aside.
Place water, broth, potatoes garlic and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 min. Add kale and cream to pot. Season with salt and pepper; heat through.

** I simply this recipe a little by cooking bacon in the microwave. I also brown the sausage in a dutch oven and add garlic and onion once the sausage is almost browned. I cook it until the onion is tender. Then I add the water, broth and simmer until potatoes are done. Next I add the bacon, kale and cream.

No comments: