Monday, September 15, 2008

My little hometown



Last night as I was getting ready for bed my phone rang. It was my sister asking what I thought about all the drama happening in our little hometown. I said "what drama?" I was busy all day and didn't have the TV on, or if I did it was of course on the only two channels I ever watch, HGTV and Foodnetwork. So I had no idea what she was talking about. Seems I missed quite a story. Our little hometown isn't known for much other than the surrender location of the Civil War, the Historic Railroad Festival and the Transco PipeLine. And it just so happens that the PipeLine made the news with a bang. Literally.


A hugh explosion took place yesterday morning creating chaos in our little town. Two homes were destroyed and many residents forced into shelters. The good news was no one was killed.


Of the many people effected, one happened to be my ex husband and his wife. Of course it was funny to see him on the news and just for old times sake I had to make fun of him. What are ex's for if not that. After reading the seriousness of the situation I am truly thankful he is okay afterall he is my children's biological father. I'll just leave it at that. Nuff said.



As I mentioned our little town is also known for the annual Historic Railroad Festival which happens the second weekend in October. You must remember this festival(RR Day as it's known to the locals) has been a town event for probably 30 years or more. My sister and her family along with my son and his family make the 3 hour trip every year. My kids think it would be a sin to miss the festival. Although last year my daughter had no choice in the matter. She was in the hospital giving birth to Little Billy #4.






I think she was sick that she had to miss RR Day. I was sick she missed it too cause that meant I got mama duty plus nana duty. Little Billy #1 and #2 went with me to the festival. YIKES.



My son and daughter-in-law and Little Billy #3 waiting for the parade to start.


Little Billy's 1 and 2 and my Billy niece Lydia waiting for the parade and candy to be thrown. They've learned over the years to bring a bag to collect the goodies.


Little Billy's 1 and 2 taking a ride on the ridey thing.


Little Billy #1 on the slidey thing.




Little Billy #2 on the jumpy thing. He was just a tad to small for the slidey thing. Maybe he'll be ready this year.

I had forgotten how much energy little billy's have and how hot it gets on an October afternoon. And this was added by my mom- "Don't forget how much mess you make at my house." It just so happens my mom's house is within walking distance of the festivities and is our hub during RR Day.


My Billy Dad, billy son and Little Billy #3 at my parent's house. I forgot to mention RR Day wouldn't be RR Day without Brunswick Stew. We always make a beeline after the parade to the stew vendors to get several quarts of stew and then go to my parents house to chow down. As Rachael Ray would say. YUM-O.


Anyway they all had fun and we survived. This year my daughter is already making plans for the second week in October and thankfully they don't include a trip to the delivery room. I hope.

No comments: